Delicious Desserts and More...

Monday, December 5, 2011

Reese's Chocolate Peanutbutter Cake

I remember back when I was a kid, going to my uncle's house with my grandmother. My uncle LOVED peanut butter. I remember he would eat it on everything, pancakes, toast, ect. This man loved peanut butter so much he would eat peanut butter and mayo sandwiches. So when my mom asked me to make him a birthday cake, I knew right away it was going to be none other than....you guessed it....peanut butter. So this is the cake I came up with.

 

Frosting:

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 6 cups confectioners' sugar
  •   8Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 6 Tbs. milk, plus more, if needed
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt 
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter

    Directions:

    Have all the ingredients at room temperature.

    Put the chocolate in the top pan of a double boiler set over but not touching simmering water in the bottom pan. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool to room temperature.

    In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, peanut butter, the 6 Tbs. milk, the vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, then reduce the speed to low. Add the chocolate and beat until combined, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more.

    If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks. Makes about 4 1/2 cups.
Ok, now my big secrete....I use Pillsbury moist supreme cake mix.....It always turns out perfectly moist and I always get lots of compliments. Simply follow the directions on the box and do not overcook.
I used two 9 inch round cake pans.  
And now for the best part....The Reese's peanut butter cups. I lined the reese's cups around the cake pan to see how many I would need for decorations. Then I unwrapped the rest of the mini cups (great job for those little helpers) I chopped them up and sprinkled half of them between the layers of cake. Then I loaded the top with the rest of the chopped candy. This is one cake that will be hard to wait for your guest to arrive to cut into .

After my uncle had this cake I even got Thank you calls, and request for another.

2 comments: