Delicious Desserts and More...

Friday, December 2, 2011

Roasted Root Veggie Quinoa

I was at work one morning when I came across a tweet from Andrew Zimmerman. It was recipe contest from www.yumpower.com. I figured what the heck and filled it out. About 3 weeks later I received an email saying I was top among the judges and that I was invited to cook in a cooking contest. Unfortunately for me, It was across the country and in two weeks. So I forfeited my spot and moved into the top 15. I'm still really excited and never thought I would be chosen. Now I can tell my husband I'm an award winning chef. 

Ingredients

1 c quinoa
4 c chicken broth
4 1/2 Tbsp grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
1              bunch radishes
parsnip
turnip
yam or sweet potato
half squash
half cauliflower
any other veggies you want to add

Directions

1
cut up all veggies to bite size pieces toss with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt put in oven on cookie sheet and roast at 450 for 20 mins until fork tender
2
while veggies are roasting bring chicken stock to a boil and add quinoa. cook until tender. The quinoa will start to come apart. It looks like little curly pieces.
3
after quinoa and veggies are cooked toss together and shave or grate Parmesan cheese on top.
4
This recipe is a great vegetarian dish and is also a good side dish. Quinoa is a super grain. Packed with minerals, vitamins, and protein.

3 comments:

  1. Next Food Network Star here we come! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fantastic, I will dedinitely try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this...
    Quinoa

    Many Americans never have heard of this grain (pronounced keen-wah). But according to NASA scientists tasked with feeding astronauts in space, quinoa comes as close to supplying "all the essential life-sustaining nutrients … as any (food) in the plant or animal kingdom." Quinoa is very high in fiber, protein and minerals, and very low in calories and in fat. Studies have shown eating a daily bowl can lower rates of obesity, breast cancer, heart disease and Type 2 diabetes

    ReplyDelete